Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EXCEL Not Calculating For One User

Status
Not open for further replies.

jksb

Technical User
Sep 27, 2000
US
I have a small workbook I set up on two computers; on one it suddenly stopped adding two columns together; the other the function works fine. It was just noticed today; what's even weirder is that the previous month's workbook has also suddenly stopped calculating.

Could this have anything to do with a date change? The user didn't notice if this was happening since the beg. of Feb..but I do know the Jan workbook was fine as I did reports off it. It seems to be either within Excel or his PC...has anyone heard of this before?

Thanks!

Jackie

One idea:

Go to Tools > Options
Select the Calculation tab
Make sure Calculation is set to Automatic

Thanks...checked it, already set :(. Any other ideas?

Jackie

What I've found out on my workbooks is that sometimes the users deletes calculation from one of the cells. I have seen that many many times. I don't think is the computer is the user. QUOTE OF THE DAY
I will prepare, and some day my chance will come.
Abraham Lincoln

<%
Jr_Clown :eek:)
%>

Nope, it's there. I even had a more experienced person look at it and she threw up her hands in frustration. And the entire workbook from January suddenly stopped calculating. What's even weirder is that if we typed in the formula again, it would work for one calculation, then quit. And before I shut the system down last night, it was calculating again. I do hope it's not his hardrive or motherboard going. I copied it on another network and it works there, so I do have a bad feeling about it.

Thanks!

Jackie

Unlikely to be a physical problem. Sounds like a software issue. Delete the personal excel file. Reload SR2a again and then have another go.

Is a full uninstall and reinstall of office a viable option or is it a mission critical machine?

No, I can uninstall and reinstall. I will try it on Monday if the problem continues...however, I would like to avoid uninstall if just reinstall will do. What's SR2a? Don't know all the techie language..yet :)

Thanks!
Jackie

Just found one more weird thing...the calculation *was* turned off in 4 of 10 workbooks that I have linked together. No, the person is barely computer literate, so I know he wasn't changing things..he's overly careful with this. I will definately reload the software and see what happens. We did have another weird thing with this too that I put aside...we total columns and printed it out; went back in and the total had changed just upon opening the folder again. Now I am really suspect.

Thanks!

Jackie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back