Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel manipulation question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 12, 2004
US
I have a spreadsheet of data with some numbers associated with names. The primary number should be associated with only one name, but it currently is not.

So, I am trying to figure out how to seperate the primary number out and then issue a new number to the rest of them (mostly husband and wife share the saem Acct Num). Here is an example

Num FirstN MidI LastN Mailing Name
A B C D E

123 Joe C Bob Joe C Bob
123 Jane D Bob Joe C Bob

I need to figure out how taht if the mailing name = the other name field when it's put together (B-D) then drop the record so I only have the secondary name left (that which does not equal the mailing name).

Any ideas?

Hi,

"then drop the record so I only have the secondary name left (that which does not equal the mailing name)."

Finding the duplicates is not a problem. How do you determine which of the group to keep?

Skip,
[sup][glasses]Don't let the Diatribe...
talk you to death![tongue][/sup][sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

The primary name = the Mailing Name so it's kind of two steps
1. Match the F/M/L name to the mailing name
2. Find which records with the same name match the mailing name then drop that record (so all I have left are secondary names taht will not match the mailing name)

So, in the example, above Joe C Bob needs to match Joe C Bob and then drop it or sort it so I can drop it and I am left with a Jane D Bob record.

just add a column F
[tt]
F2: =B2&" "&C2&" "&D2=F2
[/tt]
Then filter on TRUE in column F, using the AutoFilter.

Skip,

Skip, this is workign great, but I do not see the True option in autofilter. How do I compare the two columns using a true statement?

Never mind, I just got it, see what you mean. Thanks sir.

One final question, I am using this technique to match the two fields (mailing name vs. combined name)
=IF(AT82=V82,"Yes","No")

The problem is if they are just a tad bit different (space, or slight deviation of the first name) then the "match" does not happen. Example:

Joe C Bob and Joey B Bob
or
Joe C Bob and Joe C Bob (extra space)

Any way to make the compare a little cleaner to identify the bulk of the records I want to?

Clean up your data by doing an Edit > Find & Replace looking for TWO SPACES, replacing with ONE SPACE.

Skip,

Yeah, I did that and it helps, but what about those with a little slight variation in their first name (i.e. Joe vs. Joey or Tim vs. Timmy). Any ideas here?

Nope. That's just another instance of bad data that must be cleaned up, IMHO.

Skip,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back