Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EXCEL: Logarithmic Scale - Negative Values 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmgibson

Technical User
Oct 1, 2002
US
Hi,

I'm trying to graphical represent two data series/sets on a graph in Excel (with a primary and secondary y axis). The Data covers a LARGE range of values, so a Logarithmic scale for both the primary and secondary axis works great. However, I have a few negative values (which as we know, don't work with logarithmic scales)that need to be factored into the graph. Without a logarithmic scale, much of the value is taken out of the graph since I have some data points at $1,000 and others at $100,000,000,000. Without the logarithmic scale, folks really only see the large values.

Any clever thoughts on how to take advantage of the logarithmic scale and still factor in my negative values?

Plot the negative values as positive, but in a different series.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a brand NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

I'm not sure I follow.....how would this appear as negative on the charts? I'm looking at account balances and I need to be able to reflect that an account is in negative territory? Perhaps I'm overlooking something simple. Thanks Skip!

As you stated, a log scale cannot display negative values. So in order to DISPLAY the value, you must change the sign and show it in a second series, the data points of which, for instance, you could shade with RED, to indicate negative values.

Skip,
[sub]

For instance, I created some test data...
[tt]
values
[/tt]
then a second column for the negative values...
[tt]
values NEG
10000000 0
100000 0
20000 0
5000 0
700 0
50 0
-100 100
-7000 7000
-50000 50000
[/tt]
the values plot like this with TWO series...
[tt]

* [red]-[/red]
* [red]-[/red]
[red]-[/red]
[/tt]

Skip,
[sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back