Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel Locks on Saving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arran

MIS
Apr 11, 2002
GB
Anyone ever had a problem with Excel 2002 running on Win XP Pro in that when you come to close Excel and it asks you if you want to save - if you click you don't want to save Excel locks up. Sometimes the lock frees itself after a couple of mins - but sometimes it takes Excel down totally.

It happens on a number of machines - some with no SP and some with SP2. Anyone any ideas?

A

I have exerienced a different one. When saving, it will say "save temp file" then it will prompt for a new filename. So I have so many temp files in the working directory. Even that directory has full permissions, I still get the same errors? Can someone help me?

My Desktops are on WinXP and MS Office XP, Server is IBM xSeries with Win2k Server. No antivirus installed.

rezeldazel, you probably have the Laroux virus. Can't be sure, it has been long time since I dealt with Laroux. Please look MS site and search for it, they have a solution.

xlhelp, thats my first impression, but since the virus is old. It should be terminated by our updated AV. Do you think it has something to do with jumping form Xcel97 files
to XcelXP? Or WindowsXP? Because I dont see this errors on WinK machine also with OfficeXP. WEIRD!!!

You have a file named excel.pip on your machine. Typically
in c:\program files\microsoft office\office . Rename it.
Restart excel and a new one will be created by excel. This is a good standard excel fix. Cant hurt you. Excel will regenerste this file automatically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back