Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel Link to SQL Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caren

Technical User
Aug 12, 2000
US
I want to do a budget to actual comparison report. My actual figures are in SQL 7.0 financial database using an ODBC driver. My budget figures are in Excel. I set up an ODBC driver pointing to the named range in my Excel spreadsheet. I can see the fields like any other database. However, I can't create a link. I get a message indicating that because it is not an SQL table, it must have an index. How do I get an index on an Excel spreadsheet? It is Excel 97 (7.0 I think).

Caren: Try your link the other way round (Excel -> SQL7), This might avoid the problem David C. Monks
david.monks@chase-international.com
Accredited Seagate Enterprise Partner

It doesn't fully work any way I do it. I can see all the fields sometimes but I can't see all the fields when I set up a new formula, even in a table all by itself. When I try to link, I can't see all the fields, in particular the fields I want to select by and sort by and link by. I can browse all the fields and put them on the report but no data shows up on the report that also has SQL data. I have concluded that this is not going to be an effective method. I am going to set up something in Access to pick up the Excel data. I think I can work with that easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back