Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel is automatically highlighting cells 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freemo

MIS
Oct 25, 2005
GB
Hello All

We are using Microsoft Excel 2003. When the user clicks on a cell the mouse is then stuck highlighting cells where ever the mouse moves. This can not be released by anything apart from closing excel from the menu bar or task manager.

Thanx for your help.

It sounds like the Shift key is stuck down. ( check the Ctrl key too ).

Cheers, Glenn.

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

Hello

Thanks for your advice. I have checked the shift key and it isn't stuck down. Also replaced the keyboard and mouse. I haven't had any joy with any suggestions i have found by searching on google either.

Bit of a difficult one.

Any more ideas?

Has anyone pressed the F8 key? Try pressing it ONCE, and see if the behaviour stops.

Cheers, Glenn.

Hello

Thank you for your idea. This hasn't solved the problem though.

What is different about the behavior of the excel in question and things like F8 or ClickLock is that the excel highlighting moves with the mouse and not when you click.

Please is there anymore ideas?

In that case it sounds like the mouse button is stuck. But you said that you changed the mouse, didn't you?

Cheers, Glenn.

Hello

Yes i have changed the mouse with the same result. In other programs there isn't a problem, just excel.

Help??

Try uninstall all addins. Set security level to very high.
If this does not help, try safe mode ('excel /safe' from command line).

combo

could also delete the xlb file (excel default sheet) you need to search in hidden files and folders.

If you log into the PC does the same thing happen under your logon?

Hello

Thank you for all your help so far. I have tried all these ideas and nothing is working. I have even tried reinstalling office.

In response to Helenp1983, logging in as a different user has the same result.

I read somewhere on Tek-tips about Ghosting, but i am not too sure about this. Could this be what is happening.

Thanks

Please describe the symptoms in more detail.

->"When the user clicks on a cell the mouse is then stuck highlighting cells where ever the mouse moves."
That's not very clear at all.

Does the user have to click in another cell to see the effect? Or does simply moving the mouse cause problems? And by highlighted, do you mean selected?

Go to another computer and do the following two things:
1)
- Left Click on any cell
- Press and hold down [Shift]
- Click another cell
- Release [Shift]
You'll see that the entire range between the cells is selected.

2)
- Left Click on any other cell
- Press and hold down [Ctrl]
- Click another cell
- Release [Ctrl]
You'll see that each of the two cells you clicked on is selected, but no other cells are.

Which, if either, of these two things is happening on the PC you're having trouble with?

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ 181-2886 before posting.

Hello anotherhiggins

The fault is more like your first example but when the mouse is moved the highlighting moves with it. Clicking of the mouse doesn't work, the mouse won't release the highlighting of the cells.

Have you tried an updated mouse driver? Or, even uninstall - reinstall the mouse driver?

Vita Brevis

Freemo,
This sooo sounds like a stuck Ctrl key. I've run a test on a good machine and held the Ctrl key. The effict I get is similar to what you are describing. What we should be asking is does the same thing happen when selecting items from the desktop or other explorer window. If not, then this probably isn't the case.

Try this: In Excel put pointer over a cell and hit the spacebar... if the entire column is selected then you have stuck control key. Replace the keyboard and try again, especially if you can do multiple non-adjacent selections from the desktop or My documents.

cckens

"Not always my best shot, but I hit the target now and then"
-me

Try to check the settings for Sticky Keys (Control Panel -> Accessibility Options - > Keyboard -> Sticky Keys).

Hello All

Thank you for all your help. In response to your ideas, am sorry but none has worked.

xlhelp - I have tried changing the mouse driver from a HID to a USB driver. Also uninstalled and reinstalled in device manager and installed a new mouse, ps2 and usb.

cckens - No Ctrl key is stuck. This only happens in excel, never in any other app. I have changed the keyboard and also the drivers.

Stella740pl - I have checked Sticky Keys and this is not on, neither is ClickLock etc

Thanks for everybodies help so far, i know we will get there.

Just in case there's a workbook with a macro being mischievous, clear the XLSTART folder. Other than that I am now out of ideas.

Cheers, Glenn.

Thanks GlennUK but the XLSTART folder is empty. Im starting to think there might be no solution to this problem and have to store it in the xfiles.

This frustrating problem just happened to me too. The highlighting follows the mouse. I fixed mine by clicking the little red button on the middle of my mouse. I don't know why, but it worked.

I don't know why, but it worked.

Because that's probably what that little red button in the middle of your mouse is for, to make the left button sticky?

Freemo, does your mouse also have that little red button?

My mouse doesn't have any red buttons, so I am not sure where they could be and what they should do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back