Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel: Intelegient statement

Status
Not open for further replies.

SQLScholar

Programmer
Aug 21, 2002
GB
hey

I have 2 lists of company names which i need to cross reference to see what who is on both. I have a slight problem though. An example (no real world companies) is below.

Sheet 1

ABC PLC
tek-tips
Me plc
antoher example
here group

sheet 2

A.B.C PLC
tech-tips
me
another example
here

Now basically what i want i to be able to pick up as many of these as possible (a human would match probably all of em), but with the use of office (prob excel). All of the customer will not be on both sheets - i basically have a sheet, and i want to be told what ones are on the other sheet aswell.

But there seems to be too many of this style of problem. If anyone has a solution which would solve any of the above problems (and more importantly not effect other ones picking up wrongly) please post

I know its a tall order to solve em all, but any help on any of them is very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Dan

----------------------------------------
There are 2 types of computer, the prototype and the obsolete!!

ooops. the second tek-tips should read tek tips

This type of functionality when dealing with large lists is best handled in a database. Use MS Access if you have it. Create two tables and include your customer records.

Access has two Query Wizards:- Find Duplicates and Find Unmatched. The wizard will quide you through the mechanics.

Hope this helps.

Alternatively in Excel you could use an if statement and a vlookup. If it returns N/A then you know the value you are looking up does not exist in the other list.

Regards
John

Thanks, but find duplicates only works on one table (when you look at it, look in the description box)

Anyone else got any ideas to solve my probs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back