Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel INDIRECT VLOOKUP in another file with Variable File Name

Status
Not open for further replies.

6volt

Programmer
Jun 4, 2003
US
I have 2 XL files: one with Data (call it A), another that uses it (call it B).

File A is named ^rut.csv and has one sheet named ^rut. It is open when B is opened.

A is a table of data where DATE in the first column is LOOKed UP.

The following works:

In B, Cell R3C4 defines the A filename and range where the VLOOKUP is going to use:

Cell R3C4:

Code:
'^rut.csv'!$A$1:$G$6163

In B, Column 3 is the date which is going to be looked up in A where Date is in Column 1.

The following cell contents works just fine:

Code:
VLOOKUP(RC3,INDIRECT(R3C4),2,FALSE)

It matches the Date in A and retrieves the data in Column 2.

The problem is that I want to make the A reference variable rather than fixed to 6163 records.

Further, I want R3C4: '^rut' only which is the "meaningful" portion of the original R3C4. (^rut is a stock symbol so there is nothing more clear than just having the stock symbol in the cell.)

First, I tried to get rid of the 6163 using COUNT()but failed. Trying so many combinations of ' ' and " " and '^rut.csv' OR '[^rut.csv]^rut'

While the following does work:

Code:
COUNT('^rut.csv'!C1)

The following do not work:

Code:
VLOOKUP(RC3,INDIRECT("'[^rut.csv]^rut'!$A$1:$A"&COUNT('^rut.csv'!C1)),2,FALSE)
VLOOKUP(RC3,INDIRECT("'[^rut.csv]^rut'!$A$1:$A"&COUNT('^rut.csv'!C1)),2,FALSE)
VLOOKUP(RC3,INDIRECT("'[^rut.csv]^rut'!$A$1:$A"&"COUNT('^rut.csv'!C1)"),2,FALSE)
VLOOKUP(RC3,INDIRECT("'[^rut.csv]^rut'!$A$1:$A"&COUNT('[^rut.csv]^rut'!C1)),2,FALSE)
VLOOKUP(RC3,INDIRECT("'[^rut.csv]^rut'!$A$1:$A"&"COUNT('[^rut.csv]^rut'!C1)"),2,FALSE)

The farthest I got was the following at the cost of a lot of time: (where the named cell test1 contains ^rut )

Code:
VLOOKUP(RC3,INDIRECT("'["&test1&".csv]"&test1&"'!$A$1:$G$6163"),2,FALSE)

So basically I'm half there as far as the simple ^rut in the cell, however, I have not been able to figure out how to do the COUNT().

Any help would be truly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Tom

Stumbled onto one that works:

Code:
VLOOKUP(RC3,INDIRECT("'["&test1&".csv]"&test1&"'!$A$1:$G$"&COUNTA('^rut.csv'!C1)),2,FALSE)

What was different...

Thanks
Tom

It was the "G" that worked. VLOOKUP of a vector does not work. I was jumping the gun because I had subsequent need to do a MATCH on the Date Column A.

Oh well, at least I got it.

Sorry for the post since can't delete.
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back