Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel in Task Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrzejek

Programmer
Jan 10, 2006
US
Excel 2010 on Windows 7 machine.
I can just start Excel, and then simply File - Exit, Excel is gone from the screen.

But when I open Task Manager (Cntr-Shift-Esc) EXCEL.EXE is still in Processes.

If I do it 5 times, I end up with 5 instances of EXCEL.EXE in Task Manager.

BTW-I don't know if that's relevant, but I have a folder where I would like to save Excel files as default file location (it is set in Excel Options - Save) but Excel ignores it and wants to save files in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14

Have fun.

---- Andy

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

Any code (add-in, Workbook_Open in personal or other hidden workbook) that creates new excel instance (by default it's hidden)?

combo

I do have some code in PERSONAL.XLSB in a Module1, but nothing in Workbook_Open or anywhere else.

Have fun.

---- Andy

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

Something in XLSTART? Do you have active any custom add-in?

Set highest macro security level. Is do you still get hidden excel instances?

Can you get excel with GetObject from word, with no excel window:
[tt]Set xlApp=GetObject("Excel.Application")
xlApp.Visible=True[/tt]

combo

it must be just my computer.
I checked with my co-worker which (should) have the same set up (from the same image) and his behaves OK. No active / custom add-in.

I get an error: Invalid syntax on
[tt]Set xlApp = GetObject("Excel.Application")[/tt]
in VB6

Thanks for helping, but I may just live with it, not a big deal, just annoying.[pc2]

Have fun.

---- Andy

Is Excel opening on another screen? I have had issues with people who have a second screen on their pc that is not really there. Try pressing Windows key and then the right arrow key a few times and see if it shows up.

If you open Excel files from the file manager, it will start a new version of Excel. If you open multiple spreadsheets within Excel (e.g., File, Open), you will not have multiple versions of Excel opened.

For Default Save location should be where you indicated (e.g., Excel Options, Save, Default File location). Note: this is only the default location for any new files. If you have a spreadsheet already opened, by default it will want to save in the directory of the file (even if you do a Save As).

@ mltoombs
I do have 2 monitors, all of us here at work have 2 of them. Mine misbehaves, other co-workers' work OK

@ zelgar
I get the multiple sessions of Excel when I just start Excel 'fresh', and close it.

I know only new (fresh) Excel should save the file into the default location, but it does not :-(

Just found out - I am getting a new PC so hopefully this will not be a problem any more [pc2]

Have fun.

---- Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back