Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel Imports vs. Access Imports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maquis

Programmer
Jul 19, 2001
US
Hi there. I hope this is a simple question which someone can answer.

I originally posted this question in the Microsoft Office forum a few weeks ago, but didn't receive any responses.

At my company we use Office 97 and many times I use Access and Excel to display and manipulate text files. These files are named "xxx.prn" files.

Now when I import into Excel, I choose text files in the Open file dialog box and Excel automatically shows me all the .txt, .csv and .prn files in my directory.

Access on the other hand will not show me any .prn files, however it will import them ok if I give it the file name.

Ok, my question is this: Where do Access and Excel get their criteria for determining which file extensions they will show in the open file dialogs? Why are they different?

TIA Maq [americanflag]
<insert witty signature here>

I don't have an answer as to why Microsoft has done this - but I do have a work around that I use in a similar situation. For occational use this is probably not worth the effort, but I use it frequently so it does save me time.

Save a search that finds the files you want. It your case use the menu selection; File, Get External Data, Import.

Set up your search using *.prn in the &quot;File Name&quot; box and choose text files in &quot;Files of type:&quot;

Click the &quot;Advanced&quot; button and then click &quot;Save Search&quot; and give the search a name.

Now whenever you want to search for this type of file you can use the &quot;Commands and settings&quot; icon on import dialog box(icon is in the upper right corner on my Access 97 screen) and select Saved searches...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back