Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel import data from password protected web site

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjaj

Technical User
Aug 3, 2003
GB
I have an Excel 2007 spread sheet into which I want to regularly import some financial data from various web sites. I can do this OK (by setting up connections) for all but one. It is password protected and the data is two screen down from the log in screen.

Is there any way I can do this, or will I have to continue to do it manually - log in, drill down, highlight data and copy / paste special Unicode Text?

Even a time saving partial solution might help.

What code are you currently using on the sites that you have success at?

This old world keeps spinning round - It's a wonder tall trees ain't layin' down

No code, they are straight forward web queries. As it says in the help :-
"On the Data tab, in the Get External Data group, click From Web" and follow on from there.

It look as if I will have to write a macro or function to log in, which will get me to the customer main page. Then select the particular account link and then select the account details link.

Only then will I have to try to do the equivalent of a web query to extract data from the tables on the page back into the right places in the Excel spreadsheet.

If you do not have acess to query the tables on the server, you will probably have to
automate login, request page, collect source of page, and parse it out (if it is always the same format)

Examples from "vba automate ie" google search will be helpfull

This old world keeps spinning round - It's a wonder tall trees ain't layin' down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back