Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel IF Formula Question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjm65

Technical User
May 27, 2003
US
I have a drop down list with 22 or so choices, they are for various kinds of woods, ie. maple 3/4", mahogany 3/8" , etc. All the woods can be broken down into two categories, solid and plywood. I would like it set up so that when I select a wood that is solid, a cell will display the text "Board Feet" and if a wood that is plywood that is chosen for it to display in that same cell "Square Feet." I tried using IF argument, but it limits me to 7 choices and I have 11 types of wood that are ply and 11 that are solid.
Thanks,
Raymond

How do we tell from the drop down that it is ply or not?

The items in the drop down list are labeled as L Pine 3/4", P Mahogany 3/8", etc. If an item is solid it has an L prefix for lumber, or P for Ply. Is there someway to use a wildcard in a IF formula?

=IF(B1="*plywood","Sq Ft",IF(B1="*solid","Board Ft",""))

using the wildcard this way will allow you to get around the 7 limit if your choices are set up as:
mahogany 1/8" plywood
oak 1/2" solid
etc...

Let them hate - so long as they fear... Lucius Accius

It sounds like you're trying to use a nested IF statement...
Code:
=IF(A1="Butternut","Board Feet", IF(A1="Hickory","Board Feet", IF(A1="Quarter Sawn White Oak", "Board Feet", IF A1="Baltic Birch","Square Feet",...

Since you only have 2 outcomes, Board Feet or Square Feet, (3 if you want to code for an error condition)...
You should use the "OR" function.
Code:
=IF(OR(A1="Butternut",A1="Hickory",A1="Quarter Sawn White Oak"),"Board Feet",IF(OR(A1="Baltic Birch",A1="Honduran Mahogany"),"Square Feet","Error"))

Steve

Raymond,

Sorry, I was answering as you posted.
Code:
=IF(LEFT(A1)="L","Board Feet", "Square Feet")
will work for what you described.

Steve

Thanks Steve, it's just what I needed. One other question, in the formula =IF(LEFT(A1)="L","Board Feet", "Square Feet") is going into a locked cell in a protected sheet, is there anyway that the second choice, can be eliminated and the user be allowed to insert the value? Like IF (LEFT(A1)="L","Board Feet", otherwise it would let the user type in a value.

If all possible, I'd like to leave that cell locked.

Thanks again,
Raymond

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back