Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel. I need a match formula to refer to another sheet & offset

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolcarls

Technical User
Jan 19, 2002
US
Sheet1 cell a1 has a data from a list on sheet2 column A.
I need sheet1 a2 to look at sheet1 A1 then match that with the list on sheet2 column a and place the data that is in the cell to the right of the matched data (column B)
I know ther's an offset and match, but it's over my head.
Here's the lame stuff I have so far, and obviously it's not working. I can't even think where to put the offset. Also, I would need a "IFISNA" type deal so that if the cell is blank I don't have a bunch of errors all over the spreadsheet.
=INDEX("Contacts",MATCH(D8,"Name",),MATCH("Street","Contacts"))

Thanks for the help.
Carl

If I am reading this correctly, you want a formula to place data into another cell. If I am reading that right, you can not populate other cells with Excel functions.

[Blue]Blue[/Blue] [Dragon]

If I wasn't Blue, I would just be a Dragon...

Carl,

I'm reading it differently than Blue.

You want to return a value from Sheet2 column B to Sheet1 A2, right?

If so, you want a VLOOKUP. On Sheet1, cell A2, put in:
[COLOR=blue white]
=if(isNA(VLookup(A1,Sheet2!A1:B20,2,0)),"",VLookup(A1,Sheet2!A1:B20,2,0))[/color]

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ181-2886 before posting.

John,
Yes, you are correct. This works very well. thanks for translating my inarticulate description of my needs. Thank you too Blue.

Sorry, read it again very slowly and got it. If I read to fast, my brain shuts down...

[Blue]Blue[/Blue] [Dragon]

If I wasn't Blue, I would just be a Dragon...

Thanks Blue. My brain is in shutdown mode until someone taps me on the shoulder, so you're way ahead of me!
Thank you again for your participation.
Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back