Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel: how to reference a dynamic range through a function? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mightyginger

Programmer
Feb 27, 2003
US
Hi,

I am using an interpolation in Excel and as part of this it takes a range of X inputs and range of Y inputs. Now lets assume the function looks like this:
=interpolate(B1:B8,C1:C8,D2) where the B column are my X values and C are my Y values and D2 is the X value I want to interpolate for. The issue is the interpolation function won't accept empty cells so can I use a CountIf function to figure how many cells are not empty and then adjust the range size dynamically? So have B1:B7 instead? I was thinking I might be able to use a combination of Offset and Match using the number returned from the CountIf. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Neil.

Hi,

Check out the OFFSET function with MATCH & COUNTIF.

Here's an example...

faq68-1331

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Wunderful! ;-)

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Thanks again. Do you think you might be able to help with my post "Possible to append two ranges into one?" in the same forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back