Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel - How to Count unique Subtotal results?

Status
Not open for further replies.

duncanr34

Technical User
Apr 14, 2004
US
I have a detail Product sales report with Subtotals by unique Customer Name. I need to be able to count the grand total of unique customers, but when I use the Count function on the Subtotal command, it gives me the count of all product line items.

For example, I have approx 5,000 product sale line items for approx 2,000 customers. When I use the Subtotal 9 sum command, I get the proper sales total for each customer and then the grand total. But I also need to know the total number of customers on the report (without counting each customer subtotal line one-by-one).

If it's a one time deal you can just use an advanced filter, "copy" to a new location and check "Unique Records Only".

This will give you an easy way to count.

I'm not sure about a formula method right now, but I'll poke around for one.

Are you using the SUBTOTALS menu option that creates an outline, a filter, the subtotals worksheet function or a combination of all of those???

Are the product line items/Customers unique?? In other words, is there only one row for each product for each customer??

If so, then you should be able to get away with:
=SUBTOTAL(3,A2:A5001)
where Column A is your customer names and you filter on the product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back