Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel: How do you create a new Rows on Specific Date?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boodox

MIS
Sep 24, 2002
GB
Hi There,

I'm looking for some help on Excel. I'm trying to create a spreadsheet that will update when it's opened on the 1st of the month.

If for example, the spreadsheet were opened on the 1st of the month, I would like it to insert a new shaded row at the bottom of each populated worksheet with the date. I want it to serve sort of like a marker for all of the data that will be populating the cells under it. I would like the process to repeat and create a sort of running "monthly log" of work done as time goes by.

Is there any way to do this in Excel? 2003 has come a long way since I last used it (Excel 97 anyone?) so if anyone has any ideas, I'd really appreciate the help.

Thanks in advance,

bdx

Rather than having one row read as a header with data underneath it, I would suggest setting up the sheet in a table format where every time someone enters an activity, the date is automatically populated in one column. It would look something like this:
[blue][tt]
A B C

1 10/18/05 Activity1 Description1

2 10/19/05 Activity2 Description2

3 10/20/05 Activity3 Description3[/tt][/blue]

or even[blue]
[tt]
A B C

1 Oct 2005 Activity1 Description1

2 Oct 2005 Activity2 Description2

3 Oct 2005 Activity3 Description3[/tt][/blue]

To accomplish that, have a look at faq707-1657.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it."
[tab]-George Bernard Shaw

Help us help you. Please read FAQ181-2886 before posting.

you could do this in the workbook_open event in the sheet. Get it to look at a cell with =now()in it and build an algorithm to decide if it is the first of the month. Place a rowcounter in another cell and use this to target the addrow function position if the day is the first.

a mathematical lunatic!!!!

mike

Thanks for your help guys. I'll give both of these a try and see which works best. I'll let you know ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back