Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjarvis

Technical User
Jan 15, 2001
US
I have a worksheet that the user well be entering numbers in. When the user enters a number I want the total row to move to the next row and total everything up that the user has entered so far. How do I do this. I'm using Excel 2000.

What you want to do can be done using a formula, but I do not understand the "When the user enters a number I want the total row to move to the next row" piece.

Can you clarify what you want to do?

What I'm saying is that when the user goes to the next row to enter more information, I want the total cell to jump down a row and delete the previous total cell. So in a sense the total cell is always two cells below the information that the user enters. Hope this helps clarify it.

Generally, you keep a blank row or two between your data and your totals. These rows must be formatted and contain formulas just like the other rows that contain data.

Then, you copy one of the blank rows and insert it before entering the data. Your formulas should automatically adjust. dreamboat@nni.com
Brainbench MVP for Microsoft Word

(Oops. Forgot.)

Or, you do as Excel intended, and use the Data-Subtotals feature and do not maintain a totals cell.

Think about this too. Keep your totals cell at the TOP of the columns instead of the bottoms. dreamboat@nni.com
Brainbench MVP for Microsoft Word

Name: Jeff
Subject: Replace part of a path with the value of a cell
Body of Message:

I would like to replace part of a formula by the value of a cell:

=('c:\bios\pme\CIE\[F8105257.xls]'!C15)

I would like to tell excel to get the "CIE" value from cell B257 and the value from "F8105257" from the cell A257

here why:

A_______ | B___|_______C___________________
Invoice #_|CIE__|formula to get a cell in a file
=====================================================
F8105257 |CIEA |=c:\bios\pme\CIEA\[F8105257.xls]'!C15
F8105258 |CIEB |=c:\bios\pme\CIEB\[F8105258.xls]'!C15
..._______|... __|...

________________=cell C15 in file c:\bios\pme\(VALUE OF B)\(VALUE OF A)

Instead of CIEA I would like to tell Excel to get the value from column B & Instead of F8105257.xls I would like to tell Excel to get the value from column A+.xls

so I can copy the formula for all the paths and the cie

I already have the path and the Invoice number in some cells for 8105355 invoices I shouldn't have to change them all manually I really need help on that one I've been on it for days

Thank you !

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back