Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel: Help with Counter

Status
Not open for further replies.

rani1110

MIS
Nov 30, 2006
US
Hi,

I need assistance with the following scenario.

1) I have a calender like chart.
2) User need to tick on the days
3) As the user ticks, there should be a counter to indicate
how many boxes (days) have been checked.

Please advice how can I achive this with Excel 2000.

Appreciate your help on this.

regards,
Rani

please explain:
1) I have a calender like chart.
... which is what exactly? What have you created?

Cheers, Glenn.

Did you hear about the literalist show-jumper? He broke his nose jumping against the clock.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. It is a chart that was sent to me. Very similar to a outlook calender. 1 method I thought of is activate the days area as checkbox but how do I have a counter running as I 'tick' on the days.

regards,
Rani

How is the chart constructed? What is the chart type exactly?

I can't see how any of the possible chart types can look like an outlook calendar.

So, what is going on exactly ... what have you tried yourself?

Cheers, Glenn.

Did you hear about the literalist show-jumper? He broke his nose jumping against the clock.

Hi,

How can I attach the chart so that i can show you.

regards,
Rani

You eithetr have to host the file somewhere and link to it, or describe it accurately.

If indeed it is a series of checkboxes that you can tick or untick, then possibly each of those checkboxes can be linked to the cell behind it. If that is the case then each of the cells will be tagged as TRUE/FALSE depending on whether it is ticked or not. The TRUE/FALSE statements can then be coerced into numeric and summed and will act as a counter to do what you want.
Regards
Ken.........

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[peace]It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission[2thumbsup]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

KenWright said:
The TRUE/FALSE statements can then be coerced into numeric and summed and will act as a counter to do what you want.
Or just use the COUNTIF worksheet function to count the number of TRUE values.

Rani: I think one thing that is causing confusion is your use of the word "chart". In Excel, "chart" has specific meaning - you might know them as graphs. If you go to Insert > Chart you will see what that term refers to in Excel.

I assume that you do not have a "chart" (or graph) that resembles a calendar. So what do you have?

Rather than taking a screen capture of your data and hosting it somewhere, you could just type some sample data here on the site. By using the [ignore][tt][/tt][/ignore] tags, you can create properly-aligned data here on Tek-Tips.

Example:
If I type in:[ignore]
[tt]
A B C
Thing1 Thing1A Thing1B
Thing2 Thing2A Thing2B
[/tt]
[/ignore]
It will display as:
[tt]
A B C
Thing1 Thing1A Thing1B
Thing2 Thing2A Thing2B
[/tt]

Click on the Process TGML link below the posting window for more information on using tags.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ181-2886 before posting.

Hi,

Ok i understand the confusion. Sorry my mistake. It is actually a table. Its a table like an outlook calender.

Please advise.

Thanks

Ken has given you a pointer to one way.
In my team we used to keep track of leave on a spreadsheet. In our case we had a row of dates, then a row of blank cells, then the next row of dates. We would enter a letter in the blank row to indicate Annual leave, Training leave etc. and used CountIF to summarise.

Gavin

Ken,

Can you elaborate a little bit more on the method. I'm sorry I am not too well verse with these functions in Excel.

regards,
Rani

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back