Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

excel gridlines

Status
Not open for further replies.

mscallisto

Technical User
Jun 14, 2001
US
When filling a group of cells with color, I can no longer see the "gridlines" thru the color.

I can regain the "gridline" effect by adding cell boarders but that's not what I really wish to do.

Is there an easy way to fill a block of cells with color an maintain the "gridline" appearence?

i believe the problem is by design. the only way u can get around it, is by using borders.

Another way is to insert a row or column where needed. Reduce the height/width to be very small. Then fill the row/height with a color. The one thing you can't buy is time. Yet!

I agree with onedtent...use borders. It's the only solution I've ever found.

I was afraid you all would confirm my suspicions about the boarders being the answer but I will monitor the thread to see if anyone else has an alternate solution like marcusw39.

There has to be a way (should be a way), of pushing the color to background, leaving the grid on top.

much thanks!

The only way to "Push a colour to the background" is to set a picture as your background. Create a picture file that is solid colour and save it then set this picture as your background. The downside to this is that the picture will be the background for the whole worksheet so if you only want this to apply to a certain section, I'm afraid you're gonna have to go with borders. Marcusw39 does indeed have a different suggestion but I wouldn't have thought it was very workable as it means
a: A lot more work than just setting borders
b: Gaps in your data structure

HTH Rgds
~Geoff~

It's 3 years later (Original post from 2002), and I'm having the same issue.

Is there a way to show the gridlines without using a border?

Nope - excel still workls in the same way - what exactly is wrong with borders ???

Rgds, Geoff

Three things are certain. Death, taxes and lost data. DPlank is to blame

Please read FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back