Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel Freeze!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaneB19

Technical User
Jun 27, 2002
GB
Hi,

Would anybody know why, when I try to open an Excel spreadsheet that is 6.63MB in size Excel would freeze? The spreadsheet contains several macros, as well as several seperate sheets.

Any ideas, and/or solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advanced

Jane

Hi,

Try opening WITHOUT activating macros.

Skip,

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

What version Excel? 2000 by any chance?

Regards
Ken..............

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[peace]It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission[2thumbsup]

Thanks for your replies!

Yeah it is Excel 2000.

Err, I've tried setting security to LOW so that it opens the macros, it was previously set to HIGH, but Excel still freezes.

As it won't open the file, how can I add the source to my trusted sources? Or is there another way to go about all of this?

Thanks again

Jane

Try cleaning out your \Windows\Temp directory (Win95/98/ME), or your \Documents and Settings\\local settings\temp directory (Win2K/WinXP).

If this doesn't work then it may be that your toolbar customisation file is on it's way out (ie getting corrupted). Search for a *.xlb file and either rename it or delete it. Excel will just create a new one, and if you renamed it and it wasn't that you can just put it back. You will lose any customisations to your toolbars by doing this.

Regards
Ken..............

Hmm, coming up against a brick wall!

I can't find any .xlb files, do you know of any other things that could be causing problems. I don't think that it's the toolbar, as it's just the defualt one.

Also, it's not really possible to delete the files in the TEMP folder because I share this computer with another person, and ...!

Thanks

Jane

It's usually the Temp files that fixes it, so if you aren't able to try that, then????

Regards
Ken...........

Oh well! Thanks for your help. I'll get something sorted eventually.

Thanks again
Jane :)

Dear Jane,

maybe the file is just corrupted, which happens to office-files being changed a lot.

there are several tools to repair corrupted files, so you can at least rescue your data and the formulas. Afaik none of these tools is able to recover the macros.

Microsoft also describes a way to rescue the data and formulas by using the corrupted file as datasource for a new one.

HTH

kind regards
Astrid

Hmm, thanks.

I'll see what I can find out about that. It's not my spreadsheet, it belongs to another division within my company. The division manager just copied, pasted and changed the name yesterday and it worked fine for him. I'm beginning to think that it's my computer!

Thanks

Jane

>>I'm beginning to think that it's my computer!

Hence the pointer towards the Temp files on your PC which will slow down the opening of files on THAT PC. If the problem is user specific it is tied either to your profile, in which case the *.xlb file was a possibility (You need to search hidden files), or it is machine specific in which case the temp files are suspect:-

Regards
Ken...............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back