Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel Formulas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neozero

MIS
Jul 7, 2000
US
I am trying to get an excel formula to break a cell if it is more than 20 characters long and move the remaining characters into the next cell. Anyone have any suggestions ?

Thanks
Jason

The answers may differ depending on why you are trying to do this? And in particular, what type of data are you working with? I would expect from the description that it is text, but if it is (big) numbers, the answer changes dramatically. Can you give more info?

TO: Bigpapa....

This is text and what I am trying to do is if cell A is more than 20 text characters, I want to leave those 20 text characters in cell A and move the remaining into cell B.

assuming your data is in column A (and row 3 as an example)
insert the formula =+LEFT(A3,20) in column B; and
insert the formula =+MID(A3,21,400) in column C

splits as required, but doesn't give answer in column A as you indicated.

also assumes tha the string in column A is only 400 characters long

hope this helps

If you really want to break the text into pieces, using LEFT and MID (as repete suggests) will work, but gets a bit clumsy to manage if you want to split it in more than 2 pieces - that is, for a very long string, split into 20 per cell until it's all used up???

Is splitting it into separate cells really what you want, or would turning on wrapping so that it displays on multiple lines in the same cell serve the purpose?

that's another way for neozero to consider bigpapa, but be careful to use a non proportional font (eg Courier, NOT Arial etc) otherwise a different number of characters will be on each line depending on the charaters in the source string. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back