Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

excel formula

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiya5150

Technical User
Feb 22, 2004
US
can someone tell me how to write the following formula

a1+b1 * 5%
+ (a1+b1*5%)* 4%
+ (a1+b1*5%*4%)*3.6%
etc.

i'm trying to get a total that contains several percentage increases ONE ON TOP OF THE OTHER (piggyback)

please help

This is the proper formula

=(a1+b1) * 5%
=((a1+b1)*5%)* 4%
=(((a1+b1)*5%)*4%)*3.6%
etc....etc. Keep putting ( ) around the next percentages (until infinity)

Hope it works for you......

that's good. but since i want to use if more than once, and for clarity purposes, i have field a1 that says 5% and field b1 that says 20,500. in a new field i type a1+b1 and instead of getting 21,525.00, the computer treats my 5% as .05 and gives me a total of 20,500.05. the reason i'm using + rather than * is because otherwise, i'm not getting the amount piggyback, in otherwords once percentage ON TOP OF THE OTHER

=B1+(A1*B1)

[Blue]Blue[/Blue] [Dragon]

If I wasn't Blue, I would just be a Dragon...

You stated "percentage increases ".

If you want to INCREASE somevalue by 5%...
[tt]
=somevalue * 1.05
[/tt]

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be advised:[/red] When transmitting sheet music...
If it ain't baroque, don't fax it! [tongue][/sub]

I misunderstood your first question..... i thought you were taking percentages * percentages * percentages.... if you adding your initial amount to a percentage increase then the proper formula for the clarified scenario would be:
=A1*(1+B1)
Where A1= initial amount and B1= percentage increase. (You add a 1 to the B1 because that is what you are Essentially saying ... add the percentage increase to my initial amount).

thanks y'all!

the first one =b1*(1+a1) works!

it's a beautiful thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back