Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel formula to transfer date to another tab? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrambles

MIS
Nov 21, 2003
US
I have an Excel spread sheet with multiply tabs that I would like to have all the same dates on. I'm looking for a formula that when I enter a date on the first tab it will change the dates on all the other tabs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...Thanks

Hi,
Code:
sDate = activesheet.name
for each ws in worksheets
  with ws
    if .name <> sDate then
      .name = .name & sDate
    end if
  end with
next
this assumes that the activesheet has ONLY the DATE and all other sheets have DATE appended

:)

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

Skip,

you can also link the date to 1 cell.
example.

if cell A1 is 12/13/2003

then in cell b1 = a1.

All you need to do is change the date in cell a1 and all the other cells will change too.

I know how to get the date from one cell to another cell within the same tab, my problem is getting it from one cell on one tab to another cell on another tab. It looks like the formula that SkipVought sent will work if I knew where to start writing a formula in Excel. I'm not a programmer so I don't know, so can you point me in the direction to do this in Excel...Thanks

for other worksheets include the name of the worksheet that has the actual date.

i.e

if worksheet1 has the actual date in cell A1

then

worksheet2 cell A1 should have =Sheet1!A1

worksheet3 cell B1 =Sheet1!A1

etc

Thank you so much kphu.

You have saved me a lot of time and hair loss. It wasn't working because I had a space between first name and last name.

i.e. =john doe!a1

but when I put a single quote around the name

='john doe'!a1

it worked, but I would have never got to that point with out your help.

Thanks again kphu.

consider this as an xmas bonus. hahaha

merry xmas

oh by the way....we work for stars around here. So if some one post a helpful answer then give them a star.

Scrambles,

The question that you asked was NOT answered.

Each Worksheet has a Tab with the sheet name. When you refer to a TAB it is a PARTICULAR part of a Worksheetmwith the Worksheet Name.

You wanted something on each WORKSHEET it seems or you wanted to reference cells or something???

???

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

Skip,

SkipVought,

I may have made it seem more difficult then it real was, I have one Excel file with multiple tabs(worksheets) with sheet names on them. I wanted to transfer the date from the first sheet to all the other sheets, so I wouldn't have to type the date on each sheet. I don't know much code so I was looking for the simple answer and kphu provided it and it did the job. I'm sure your code would have helped me also under a different situation or maybe the same situation, but kphu's was fast and easy and it worked.

Thanks

I just answered YOUR QUESTION...

&quot;I'm looking for a formula that when I enter a date on the first tab it will change the dates on all the other tabs.&quot; emphasis added

Skip,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back