Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel Formula to Text

Status
Not open for further replies.

cameronfraser

Programmer
May 18, 2001
US
This is not a VBA question, but it realates to EXCEL. In EXCEL Is it possible to show a formula as text using spreadsheet functions?

For example. In cell A1 I have the Formula = 1 + A3.

In cell A5 I want to show the formula as text. I want cell A5 to be "= 1 + A3". Below is what it would look like in EXCEl:

A B C D
1 7
3 6
5= 1 + A3

Note: I know that I can set in Options to view formulas, but I don't want to view the formula. I want it as a text value so I can manipulate its' contents in other formulas.

Try

Range("A5").Select
ActiveCell.Value=Range("A1").Formula

Richard...

Thanks for the response,

The above solution will work in VBA code.

Is there a solution that will work in EXCEL as a formula.

I would like a formula in the EXCEL spreadsheet return the actual text of a formula.

Through the Tools>Options menu select the 'View' tab and tick the 'formulas' box. Store300

Store300@ftnetwork.com

If you just want to show the formula in a particular cell as text, you can always prefix it with a single inverted comma (') thus:

'=1+A3

Another alternative is to put the whole formula into inverted commas thus:

="=1+A3"

Both of the above will display the text

=1+A3

in the appropriate cell. It is difficult to suggest anything else without knowing how you want to use the result. What do you have in mind?

Regards,

Bill

Cameron,
I can't find a resident function to do this, but you can easily create a user-defined function in the Class Module of your workbook:
Function FormatText(C As Range) As String
FormatText = C.Formula
End Function

and then use the function as normal:
= FormatText(A1)

I hope that helps.
VBArt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back