Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel Formula To Simplify This What Function

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYFashionToGo

Technical User
Jan 16, 2007
US
I am trying to do accomplish something that appears to be so simple I am getting a bit confused with the formulas. I feel like I am taking the Very long route to get an answer based on formula:

The situation Is for shipping. I have configured the whole United States Postal service zone chart for Priority Mail It goes by first 3 digits of Zip code which I configured in Column A. Column B-Column M Is for weight (Column B is 1 Lb Pricing, Column C is 2 Lb Pricing, Column D is 3 Lb Pricing....

I have a sheet in access that figures out the weight for me which returns to excel..... I cant seem to figure our how to scan the whole excel table I configured to Match up the appropriate Intersecting column based on Zip and Weight.

I feel like I am taking the very long approach. I am able to pull the Pricing one column at a time (which is what I am doing now for each pricing on every transaction)Then using other formulas to figure the weight into the scheme..... Can anyone recommend a way to simplify it.. I think its a combination of Vlookup and Hlookup.

Any advice would be appreciated

My weights are in the first row and My 3 digit zips are in first columns.. It is simply the intersecting point that I am trying to pull and simplify

Hi,

"...Can anyone recommend a way to simplify it.. "

What is IT? You never posted your formula!!!

Also post some sample data.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red][/red]
[tongue][/sub]

Restructure your table.

Create a unique identifier for each (3-digit) Zip and Weight combination.

Example (using zip codes around me):
[tt]
ZipWeight Cost
276-01 $1
276-02 $2
276-03 $3
277-01 $4
277-02 $5
277-03 $6
[/tt]
Then a simple lookup can do it.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ181-2886 before posting.

Skip I am using an If exact Vlookup formula such as this; I am quite comfortable using this formula I use it alot. I am not trying to simplfy this formula Itself, my problem is I am pulling one column at a time for each pricing Weight, then using other formulas to determine what weight to pick. what I am trying to simplify is The whole Thing, not really this one formula...

Its a formula Like this:
=IF(EXACT(dq2,VLOOKUP(dq2,FESHIPDL.csv!$A$2:$A$1500,1)),VLOOKUP(dq2,FESHIPDL.csv!$A$2:$AE$1500,31),"")

I am quite comfortable using it. I am only able to pull one column at a time based on zip code.... then go through another whole step for choosing weight. I thought there may be a way to lookup variables in one pass at same time...

Hmmm anotherhiggins that is certainly a thought as well. I understand what you are saying.....

I'd agree with John as a basic approch to any table. NORMALIZE your data and data analaysis becomes greatly simplified.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red][/red]
[tongue][/sub]

yes It is also the easiest for me to understand as well. Thank You both appreciate it. Sometimes dont see the obvious things.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back