Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel Formula Problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJOHNS

MIS
Sep 12, 2001
US
I have a spreadsheet with a lot of formulas in it. When I open the file on my hard drive, the formulas don't always work. If I save it to a disk and open it from there, the formulas work fine. If I save it back to my hard drive from the disk, the formulas will work fine until I close the file and reopen it. They won't work again.

I'm talking about simple formulas. I enter numbers in two cells, and they are multiplied in the third. The third has the formula in it, and I can see it if I place the mouse over it. It's just not doing anything for me.

Any idea why or how to fix?

When they appear not to work, does hitting F9 make them work again? if so then Try Tools / Options / Calculation / Automatic.

If this is it then what is likely happening is that somehow when you launch Excel the first file you are opening is a file that has been saved whilst Calculation is set to manual. Post back if this is the case.

Regards
Ken...........

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[peace]It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission[2thumbsup]

OK, try and narrow down whatever file may have been saved whilst in manual calc, switch calc mode and save the file again (assuming that is the right thing to do for that file).

Either way, when it comes to calc mode, Excel will take on the calc characteristics of the first file opened after it has been launched.

Regards
Ken...........

[peace]It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission[2thumbsup]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back