Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel formula Help 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CadMaster

Technical User
Aug 4, 2001
i have a formula "=IF(C20="","",IF(C20=E20,"Paid",(C20*D20)-(E20)))"..
this is my invoice form... if the 2 cells "C20 and E 20" are blank.. no data.. i want the TOTAL cell (F20) to be blank... if the TOTAL cell is equal to what is in "C20" and also "E20".. than i want it to display "Paid"...

thanks for the help

hi,

"...if the 2 cells "C20 and E 20" are blank.. no data.. i want the TOTAL cell (F20) to be blank... if the TOTAL cell is equal to what is in "C20" and also "E20".. than i want it to display "Paid"... "

That request seem contradictory. The TOTAL cell cannot be BOTH a number equal to c20 & E20 AND "PAID" TILT!

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Maybe i'm asking it incorreclty... i have a formula that works.. "=IF(C21=E21,"Paid", (C21*D21)-(E21))" this works great.. Now i am trying to add an additional IF function to display a blank cell in "F21" (where this function is) if there is no data in any of the above mentioned cells (C,D,E 21).i cant get it to work..
In "F21" i want it to display one of 3 things.. 1). "the sum of C,D,E,", 2). "PAID", 3). just leave the cell blank..

here is a pdf screenshot i uploaded.. hope it works correctly..

thanks

Try this:
[tab][COLOR=blue white]=If(And(IsBlank(C21), IsBlank(D21), IsBlank(E21)), "", If(C21 = E21, "Paid", C21 * D21 - E21))[/color]

Note that I removed extraneous parentheses in the last section. They're not needed because Excel will always do the multiplication/division portion of a formula before it moves on to evaluating any addition/subtraction. Look up "order of operations" in Excel's help for more information.

If C21, D21 and E21 contain formulas and you want to test if they return "", then you can change the first part of the formula to:
=If(And(C21 = "", D21 = "", E21 = "")...

[tt][blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ 181-2886 before posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back