Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel Formula Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoValence

Technical User
Mar 21, 2006
US
Hi All,

How would a function/formula look that would create/verify a serial number that looks like this: AYYMMXXXX where A is constant, YY is the current 2 digit year, MM is the current month, and XXXX is a whole number that gets incremented with each additional product?

Thanks,

Neo

="A"&TEXT(NOW(),"yy")&TEXT(NOW(),"mm")&TEXT(A1+1,"0000") would get what you're looking for. In the above, A1=5 and the result is A08110006

Not sure about the verification though - I'd think you'd need to use some VBA for that.

Let them hate - so long as they fear... Lucius Accius

straybullet,

I tried the fuction you suggested and had very little luck getting it to work. Do you suppose this could be due to my being on Office 2007?

Thanks Anyway,

Neo

Do you suppose this could be due to my being on Office 2007?"

It will work in 2007.

How did you implement this formula (not a function). Please explain in detail.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Well, once again, taking a shortcut doesn't pay off... Sorry, my goof!

Incrementing from 5 to A08110006 works fine with the above but the following allows it to increment from A08110005 to A08110006. Also, combining the yymm portion shortens it a bit.

="A"&TEXT(NOW(),"yymm")&TEXT(VALUE(RIGHT(A1,4))+1,"0000")

Let them hate - so long as they fear... Lucius Accius

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back