Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel: Formatting Cell

Status
Not open for further replies.

xdia

MIS
May 23, 2002
US
Hello,

I get the file from mainframe but for some reason the formatting is different and having trouble importing certain data to access. I have try change format but i didn't work.
Visually when I look at the cell the alignment is different so I change the alignment but still data would not be imported. any suggestions?

Thanks,

Peter

Have you checked the format? what is it set to?

Try setting it to text only.

Also you could do a EDIT-COPY and then PASTE-SPECIAL, and choose VALUES.

Is the data text, numbers or both?

Some are general, text, and number. I have already tried paste by values but it didn't work. I even used the format brush but still same. One thing is that I get the data from mainframe if it helps any.

Thanks,

Hello Peter,

How are you importing the data from the mainframe? You might try using the free Microsoft Query program (approx 14 mg) available on the internet from MS. It has some very useful tools for importing information from other databases into Excel.

If this is not useful for this particular instance, I still recommend getting MS Query, if you don't already have it, for possible future applications (you can't argue with the price - ha!).

Regards,

-Bob in California

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back