Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

superred

MIS
May 21, 2002
GB
Got a strange one here:
I have a folder of excel files on the server that still claim to be edited and open by other network users, this is not the case.
Any ideas why the "sharing workbook" section shows 3 or 4 people still in the files
Becoming a problem as these files are timesheet workbooks and need to be filled in each week!
Anyones help would be appreciated

Hi Skip,

In my haste I forgot these details:
Windows 2000 Professional SP3
Microsoft Office 2000 SP3 (Excel 2000)

"Ghost" users in a shared workbook is usually caused by either a very short loss of network connection or a "Dr Watson" ie excel closing itself due to an application error

Might be a pain but you may have to go to each workbook and do a copy sheets to a new workbook and save that instead...

Rgds
Geoff
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go."
-Oscar Wilde

Thanks Guys, you were both right, a brief network disconnection of one of the users whilst he was still in the file caused the problem.
Also I found a relevant article on the microsft support link above that sheds a lot of light on the subject

Many Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back