Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel Files open in "word"

Status
Not open for further replies.

damputer

MIS
Dec 19, 2003
CA
I have a couple machines in my domain using OpenOffice1.1
What a "nasty" (I mean that in a nice way) piece of work.
The users I have using it instead of MSOffice love it, there is only one problem we seem to be having.
When we double click on an .xls file, it appears to open in the word editor of the suite, and we cannot save it as an excel document.
Although I am trying to get away from the MS way of life in the office, unfortunately, the compatibility must remain.
We have to be able to open and save the files in .xls format. I ?"think"? I have been through every menu and setting on the suite, and have been to the main OOsite to check their FAQ, and have not seen this issue addressed. Any advice would be appreciated, as I do want to get rid of the old and have the new come in.

Thanks

Kevin

I'm not certain here folks, have I worded the question wrong? Is it not possible?(I doubt it). Or is it so simple an answer that no one is bothering?
I have checked my file types, and .xls files are set to open with openoffice -o.
Hmmm, maybe it's just a different switch I need.
Nope, double checked the site.
HELP

I don't think that many people cruise this particular forum.

That being said, can you open up the spreadsheet program and access the file through the "open" menu?

Searching the OO site it shows open -o as "Always open files on command line for editing even if they are templates".

Have you tried opening with "%path%/ooffice.exe -calc"?

J.R.

jrjuiliano, thanks for the response. Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Freaking Raid array crashed on the server :(
In the shortcut to open the documents, that is the switch that it uses. I have recently tried to open some excel documents and tada, it works. I have no idea why all of a sudden it seems to work fine, but I can now save, and open in native xls format. I will be putting it on a couple more machines now, and if I ever figure out what went on, I will most certainly put it in here.

Thanks again.

Hmmmm, maybe you should file a bug report and fix that says if you have this problem with your Open Office files, just find the nearest RAID array, make it crash and then -- voila! -- it'll work!!!

OK, maybe not. :)

J.R.

In case the Raid-crash method does not work, a fallback would be to establish a file association from ".xls" to the req'd type.
P.S.: What does "nasty" mean in a nice way? Just curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back