Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel files as input to Mercator

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlapse

IS-IT--Management
Jun 30, 2005
US
Hi,

Does anyone have experience with MS excel files being processed by mercator.

1) Can an MS excel file be defined as an input to mercator in the input card of a mercator map/system? how would mercator read the data as text and not some unprintable characters?

2) I used the DDEQUERY function to get the data from a spreadshheet (MS excel) and write to an output txt file. Howevre the rule always evaluates to NONE and there is no output written.

Any pointer would be appreciated.

You would use ODBC adapter to create the tree for the file and as the source of the map. Treat it as a database. See documentation.

BocaBurger
<===========================||////////////////|0
The pen is mightier than the sword, but the sword hurts more!

I dont have the documentation Excel. Is it the same as that for Databases?

The examples I have state that the excel file needs to be open while running the map. Is this true?

Im using Mercator 6.7.1 (302) on Windows Server.

treat the xml file as a DB. Define an ODBC connection that points to the file.

Then use DBID to define our type tree.... I think the info is in the DBID pdf.

If it is and Excel file, then Excel needs to have the file open. You could expoert the file to a csv and and use that as a flat file input. 6.7.1 should be (306)

ODBC info is in the DB docs. and DBIFD.

BocaBurger
<===========================||////////////////|0
The pen is mightier than the sword, but the sword hurts more!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back