Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

excel file will not save

Status
Not open for further replies.

deebaglee

Technical User
May 16, 2003
GB
hi every so often i when i try and save a excel file
i am told that the file was not saved
there is plenty of room on the drive

I suppose it all depends on how you are saving the file? Are you using the FILE, SAVE AS option from the top left on the screen? Also note that if you are saving a spreadsheet that you have worked on received via email, it is saving it to a temp file, therefore you have to go FILE, SAVE AS and choose the correct directory. Does this help at all?

Or, rather than stating it does not save... do we get an error message? If so, please jot it down and let us know what it is.... that would help in providing a proper response to your issue....

If you do have an error message, try looking it up in Google ( or Theoma ( or even Microsoft (support.microsoft.com). OR, tell us what it is and we can go from there.

Laurie

hi can not get spreadsheet to repeat problem yet
but try this one
in one spreadsheet when i try to create a copy of a worksheet i get the following message
program error
EXCEL.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows You will need to restart the program

An error log has created

this applys just to this one spreadsheet
also it contains macros we do not use
ps where is the error log located
cheers

Sounds like you've got a corrupt workbook there
If the error messgae was simply "File Not saved", it is classic corrupt workbook

You can either request a copy of it from your network guy's last backup or you need to copy the sheets out to a new workbook
Do this by right clicking on the sheet and selecting "Move Or Copy" then tick "copy" and select your new blank workbook from the list of options. May take a while but it's about the only way to get rid of the "corruption"

Rgds
Geoff
Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes
Get the best answers to your questions - faq222-2244

i thought i might be a case of creating a new workbook
thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back