Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel File(s) do not open 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

DColcl

MIS
Sep 22, 2003
US
Running Office 2k here.
1. When I open Excel and open a previously opened file from the File Menu I get nothing; other than Excel.

2. With Excel closed or open: when I open an Excel file from windows explorer all that opens is Excel... no file.

3. The only way I have been able to open a workbook is to right click the file in Windows Explorer, choose "Open With" and then choose Internet Explorer. Here the Excel program starts WITH the file that I am needing.

this does not happen with every excel workbook. Only certain ones.

Any thoughts?

Dan

Hi.

In Windows Explorer.

Go to Tools, Folder Options.

Choose File Types tab.

Locate and highlight XLS.

Click Advanced button.

Highlight open, click Edit... button.

Make sure Use DDE is checked and the DDE Message: reads [open("%1")]

Very cool, X. I will give it a try.
Now, if I may press your further; would you be so kind as to give a brief explanation of what I'm doing here and why I'm doing it?
Since I know that this is not a "normal" mode of operation for Excel, what thoughts or theories do you have that would explain why Excel would operate in this fashion?

Dan

If that doesn't fix it try this...

On the Tools menu, click Options. Click the General tab. Clear the Ignore Other Applications checkbox, and click OK. Close Excel and try again.

-- Jason
"It's Just Ones and Zeros

While you are in the folders tab that xlhelp suggested, make sure all the other excel file extensions are opening with excel. someone may have saved one of your files as html at one time and no one has ever changed it back.

Yeah, I did that too.

This is what I did to get it working.....sorta.

I copied the user's Favorites, My Documents and Desktop to another folder. Then I deleted his profile from C:\Documents & Settings.

Then I had the user log back on the computer and recreate a new profile for himself. After which I replaced those folders that I had copied and reconfigured his Outlook profile

NOW..... when he attempts to open the same attachments (named "Daily Access Report") he get ths following warnings:

C:\DocumentSettings\Paul\locals\temp\Daily.xls could not be found.

When I click okay, I get the following:
C:\DocumentSettings\Paul\locals\temp\Access.xls could not be found.

When I click okay, I get the following:
C:\DocumentSettings\Paul\locals\temp\Report.xls could not be found.

Once I click this third and final Okay to the warning, the excel attachment opens up but only in Read Only mode.

Why would Excel interpret the attachment name of Daily Access Report.xls as 3 seperate excel files? And why would it be looking for the file in the user's Temp folder?

Danny

Go to Start, Run

type:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\EXCEL.EXE /Regserver

Click OK

Member AAA - Abolish Abused Abbreviations

that worked! Thank you, X.
Thank you all!

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search