Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel file opening and macros

Status
Not open for further replies.

DuckBill

MIS
Jun 19, 2001
GB
My PC seems to have developed a strange habit that I cannot seem to stop.

I am using Excel 2000 and if I open a file from the recently-used list (under the File menu), I am prompted with the usual "Do you want to disable / enable macros" dialog box, and if I choose "enable", it does just that.

But if I open a file using File, Open then browse, it just opens the file and automatically disables the macros without asking. (If I then close the file and call the same one up from the recently-used list, it asks!)

Is there a check box somewhere that I have missed that controls this, or is it a more serious problem?

Thanks for any suggestions,

DuckBill

Have you tried: Tools - Options. Then under the "General" tab.. "macro virus protection" ?

Regards, ...Dale Watson dwatson@bsi.gov.mb.ca

Dale,

Yes... and no! Tools - Options was the first place I looked. But there is nothing about "Macro virus protection" on the "General" tab of my copy of Excel.

Also, surely any such setting ought to apply, irrespective of how a file is opened?

Regards,

Paul

dsi,

Yes, I looked there too! It is currently set to "Medium" security level, which means that it should ask whether I want to enable or disable macros. As I said, it does this with files opened from the recently-used list, but not when I use File, Open.

Any other ideas, anyone?

DuckBill

For some reason, "certified" macros (macros with approved certificates) comes to mind. Could this be the problem?

MiggyD,

To be honest, I have never really got into Certified macros. But in this case, all the spreadsheets (and macros) were created by myself.

The real question is why does my copy of Excel treat the same file differently depending solely on how it is opened?

DuckBill

Is File>Open>Browse an MS object call? Where Recent File is an internal call?

What I'm thinking is that it may be a registry thing. Ya know? Like this:

Win Explorer> VIEW/TOOLS(depending on OS ver)>
Folder Options> File Types> XLS> confirm open after download(uncheck/check mark)

But I may be wrong. But, on the other hand you could try it out and see if it gives you some favorable results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back