Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel file is read only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raggmunk

Technical User
Jan 14, 2003
SE
Hi everyone.
A user can´t edit a excel file. It says that the same user has the file open already, so he can only open it in read only.
WIndows 2000pro
Office 2000

Hi
The most likely reason for this is that your user has excel opened twice ie two instances of the application are open on the machine and they do actually already have the file open.
Check the task bar for multiple instances failing that check on task manager.

Another late thought is that if you 'hot desk' in your workplace the user has the file open on another pc!?

;-) If a man says something and there are no women there to hear him, is he still wrong? [ponder]

Thanks for the respons.
Yes, we got "hot desk" or "multipel loggon".
Perhaps I explande my question poorly.
Is theire any way to "disconnent" his first session with the file, so he can open the file at his current location?
I´v checked, and his not logg in on any other computer.

Hi
My first reply wasn't too clear either!

Check to see that your user doesn't have excel opened twice on the machine he is using now.

This, as I said, is the most likely reason for the problem. Unfortunately if that isn't the solution I'm a bit stuck. He obviously has the file open somewhere and without identifying where I can't think of a way to shut the file down without having him kicked off the network completely to close all his work down!

;-) If a man says something and there are no women there to hear him, is he still wrong? [ponder]

Have you tried workbook sharing?
Tools > Share workbook > check the box "Allow changes..."
Be aware that some functions like macro editing, protecting, etc.. do not work any more

Thanks a bunch for the help.
Unfortunately it didn't help to allow changes... in the workbook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back