Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EXCEL.exe has generated errorsand will be closed by windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

hnts

IS-IT--Management
Dec 9, 2003
US
Help,

I have a PC that was running MS Excel just fine and now I'm receiving the error listed above. The PC is running w2000. The strange part of this error is that I can run Excel under the administrator account but not under this users' name.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what may be happening. The error is not very detailed so I'm hoping some one has encountered this before.

p.s. I tried rpairing MS Office, no luck. I removed the application and reinstalled it, no luck.

99.99% sure it's a corrupt *.xlb file. Search for it in the users profile and delete it. It's a customised toolbar file and does not get deleted when you reinstall. It's known for corrupting in 2K, and it is tied to the user profile, so the fcat that you can run OK in admin reinforces that belief.

Excel will just create another one when you delete it.

Regards
Ken...............

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[peace]It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission[2thumbsup]

Ken,

Thanks for the input. However, after deleting the file I am still having the same problem. I'm not sure what to try next.

as sir ken said, it is tied to your user profile, which may also be the cause of your problem. if you delete your user profile and create a new one, maybe the problem will go away.

hope this helps. peace! [peace]

kilroy [trooper]
philippines

"Illegitimis non carborundum!"

Hmmm - You definitely got the right one? only you will have one on there for every user that has touched that machine, so blowing them all away would probably be safest, though it should just be the one within that users profile.

Mine for example is sat in

C:\Documents and Settings\kwright2\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel

so you could probably try uninstalling Excel, then take out the Excel directory entirely from that path, then try reinstalling Office

Regards
Ken..............

As TM said, I'd then be tempted to blow away the profile and redo it (Depending on what that involves of course).

Regards
Ken..............

[peace]It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission[2thumbsup]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back