Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

excel eported data not all on one line

Status
Not open for further replies.

inncoggnitto

Programmer
Jun 19, 2001
US
i have a report in cyrstal 10 that i need to export to excel for other users. when i get the export i get some data on line 1 some on 2, and some on 3, repeated for every line. no subreports in the report but there are formula fields. i find not rhyme or reason to the mangalation of the formatting. is there a way to force the export to look like what is in the report?

tks, mike

Dear Mike,

when you design a report for export to excel you basically have to really tweak it. Make sure that the column headers are the same size as the data (definitely not bigger). Make sure that no columns are touching or are close. In other words, you have to really play with it. I find that by the time I get a report to export to excel perfectly that the report is no longer "pretty".

You might want to read this kb article which documents a hot fix for some formatting issues:

If you do a search in the kb for Excel formatting you will get a plethora of information.

regards,

ro

Rosemary Lieberman
rosemary-at-microflo.com, Microflo provides expert consulting on MagicTSD and Crystal Reports.

You will get answers more quickly if you read this before posting: faq149-3762

Depends upon your software version...

You might try the data only Excel export, and base the width on the appropriate area.

I often design Excel exports in other sections within the report and use a parameter to suppress whichever sections so that I have a good version for viewing, and one for clean exporting.

-k

Are the fields at exactly the same level in the section? The conversion software for Excel tries to work out what you want, but often makes the wrong assumptions.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK). Using Windows XP & Crystal 10 [yinyang]

Incognito - did this end up working out for you? I'm having a similar problem and I think it's just a limitation of Crystal now. It doesn't treat the subreports like it used to and we're screwed because all of our reports are formatted to output to Excel. We have tried everything....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back