Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel Drop-Down Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCHall

IS-IT--Management
May 3, 2005
US
I'm working with drop-down lists in Excel. I'd like for people who use the spreadsheet to be able to jump through the list by pressing the first letter of the word they want. I thought this should happen automatically, but it doesn't seem to work. I'm using MS Office 2003. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--CC Hall

Hi,

What kind of control are you using -- Validation, MS Form or Control Toolbox?

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red][/red]
[tongue][/sub]

I'm using Validation. Thanks.

That only works in a Validation when there's already data in the column.

Take a look a the Control Toolbox Combobox - MatchEntry property.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red][/red]
[tongue][/sub]

Thanks, but I don't think that will work for me. I need there to be entries in the columns to use autofilters.

--CC Hall

Hi CC,

If you enter the letter first, then click the dropdown, the validation list will scroll to the first entry that starts with that letter.

HTH,
Eric

It's possible to do that with VBA Code using ONE ComboBox that will behave similar to the validation list.

If you want to pursue this option, please post in VBA Visual Basic for Applications (Microsoft) forum707.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red][/red]
[tongue][/sub]

Eric,

Thanks, but if I hit a letter first and then click the drop down, I get an error message that says "the value you entered is not valid."

If I click the drop down arrow first, then hit a letter, it does nothing.

--CC Hall

You're going to have to figure out the behavior of the control with various settings, and if it meets your requirements.

Also which control EVENT is your code in? It can make a difference.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red][/red]
[tongue][/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back