Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EXCEL: Deleted workbook link

Status
Not open for further replies.

jooleigh

MIS
Oct 21, 1999
US
A user wanted to disassociate an Excel workbook from another workbook so she deleted the source workbook after saving her new workbook. However, when opening the workbook she gets this error message:

"The workbook you opened contains automatic links to information in another workbook. Do you want to update this workbook with changes made to the other workbook?

To update all linked information, click Yes
To keep the existing information, click No"

I tried to go to Edit, Links to disassociate that particular file but it asks to link to another file. How do we disassociate it from any link? I've tried to copy each sheet in the workbook separately but it still wants to associate it with another workbook. Thanks for any enlightenment you can give me on this.

[sig][/sig]

Your user may has formulas referring to the deleted workbook. Use the Find function to search formulas. If you find formulas referring to the deleted workbook, you may want to copy and PasteSpecial and paste the value of the cell.

Hope that helps [sig]<p>Kathryn<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br> [/sig]

One among many ways to find these links is under Insert>Name>Define.

Scroll through all the defined names and delete those refering to the 'Other' file.

You will see the 'Other' path and filename in the definition. If the 'Other' file is open you won't see the path.

[sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back