Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel Default File Location

Status
Not open for further replies.

DQR

Technical User
Dec 18, 2002
GB
I change the default file location setting a lot in Excel, to hop from project to project many times a day. To do this I have to re-type the full file path of the current project, which is routinely four or five sub-folders long. With some of my co-workers setting up folder names that are very wordy, the scope for making typos is considerable - and every time I get it wrong, I have to start all over again.

I'd much prefer to use a procedure similar to the one that MS Word uses, i.e. a point-and-click dialog to set the required subfolder. Is it possible to switch to such a procedure in Excel, or alternatively, has anyone written a routine that will do this?

Cheers,
DQR

Why not have a notepad file with your projects and file locations. Then you can cut and paste your default file locations.

Blue

The names of the subfolders are often changed during the course of the project by the people who created them: we have maybe half a dozen people working on as many projects simultaneously, and the structure of the subfolders in any one project routinely changes to reflect developments in the project. This means I have to either hop over to Windows Explorer or use the File | Open dialog in Excel just to find out what the correct path actually IS before I can set it as the default.

Unfortunately neither of these options provides me with a copyable piece of text that I can then paste into either a Notepad file or the default folder dialog box - so the problem remains.

Coming to think of it, it may be that the best I can manage is to use the File | Open dialog to find the file I want, and then call up a function that will return the full path of my current location at that time. I'd then be able to copy that path into Notepad as you suggested. It wouldn't cope with subsequent folder name changes, but there's obviously no way out of that one.

Cheers and many thanks,
DQR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back