Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

excel date/time calculation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spott

Technical User
Mar 11, 2002
US
Hey gang - this could be done in excel or an access query, whatever you think is easier. I've been looking at too many numbers and am now clinically brain dead.

In my db I have 4 fields Start time, start date, end time, end date. I need to get the difference of time between end and start. If the events are on the same day I've gotten it to show the correct amount of time (hrs/min) but if it is greater than 1 day, it's still just the hrs/minutes.

I have about 300,000 rows of data to check and am hoping to find where there's a negative time to identify the error. (Where something ended before it was finished and our date/time stamps are off.)

Thanks!!!!!

Usually the following rules apply:

1. A Date is simply the number of days since a particular date, something like 1-Jan-1970.

2. Where 1 represents a whole day, the time is a proportion of this ie. midday is 0.5, 6pm is 0.75

So, presuming that your data is stored according to these rules, it's fairly easy to see if you have an end date that's before a start date. IF(StartDate+StartTime > EndDate+EndTime, "Culprit", "Normal")

Hope that helps.

My goodness...if it would have been a snake!! Already found one error, off to copy the formula a lot!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back