Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel date formatting

Status
Not open for further replies.

matpj

Technical User
Mar 28, 2001
GB
Hi,

I have a spreadsheet full of data of which one colum is 'Created Date'
this date is in the format
'dd/mm/yy hh:mm:ss AM'

I need to run pivot-tables using this data regularly, but need to group all rows with a date in october, as October-03 etc...
I can change the cell format so that it reads that way, but the formaula bar still shows the full date and timestamp, and the pivot-table groups all entris by the full date, so there will be lots of different October-03's.
does this make sense?

Is it possible to autmoate this task, or make it as painless as possible? I have tried pasting to notepad and then back again. this gets rid of the time section of the date, but for some reason months in different years such as April-02 and April-03 come out as
04/2/03 and 04/03/03 respectively.

I am wasting so much time trying to do this.
Ideally just a function to replace 'october-03' as a text string (not the data code)

any ideas??

thanks,
Matt

whack the pivottable on the data and group it in there - if you try and group on a date, you will get options to group by month / by year etc

Rgds, Geoff
[blue]Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes![/blue]
Want the [red]best[/red] answers to your questions ? faq222-2244

can yuo break that down in step by step terms - as I am new to this.
at the moment, I have my pivot-table on a seperate sheet.
and the selection is around all of the columns in the spreadsheet.

In your pivottable, right click on the date field
Choose Group&Show Detail>Group
using CTRL, select Months & Years from the list
ok it et voila

Rgds, Geoff
[blue]Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes![/blue]

xlbo, thanks for that :)

Just to refresh this post - does anyone know how I can actually change the date before the pivot table so that any date I put in will automatically set itself to the first day of that month?

eh ???
could you explain.......preferably with an example

Rgds, Geoff

sorry!

right here is an example of the data in my cells:

"5/14/2001 1:13:00 PM"

I need to change this so that it is "05/01/2001"

can it be done?

Does it HAVE to show the 1st of the month? Couldn't you just change the format so it shows "05/2001". If so, all you'd have to do is go to customize cell and show mm/yyyy.

customize cell? or format cell?

if I change the formatting, it still keeps the same value in the background...

ok - you got 2 options here (but I still don't understand WHY you need to do this)

1: Add an extra column and use
=A1-DAY(A1)+1
where your date is in A1
2: Use the worksheet change event and some code like

if target.column <> 1 then exit sub

target.value = target.value - worksheetfunction.Day(target.value)+1

Rgds, Geoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back