Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel data used to populate variables in Crystal reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jyotika123

Programmer
Mar 1, 2010
US
Hi,

I have a report with some variables that will get data from excel. how do I populate these variables in the report from excel columns?
An eg. is this table in crystal :
Parameter Set Point Operating Range Performed
By Date Performed Verified By
CO2 Incubator Temperature XXX °C XXX to XXX° C
CO2 Incubator % CO2 XXX % XXX to XXX %
where all the XXX's are variables getting data from excel.

I have setup the connection to excel and I can see the data, but don't know how to fill the particular field in the report.

You need to link the Excel table with your main report table on some matching ID fields. Then you should be able to simply place the Excel columns on the report.

-LB

thanks lbass.. Is it possible to create a HTML table (not a db table) in crystal.. I can't find any option..

Sorry, I'm not familiar with that, so can't answer your question.

-LB

Let me simplify it for you. In MS word there is an option Insert ->Table.. Is there something similiar in crystal..

So this is no longer about linking?

You can insert a crosstab (insert->crosstab) to create a "table." Or you can use lines/boxes to create that effect.

-LB

Thanks lbass. It isn't about linking yet.. I was trying to create a table with some columns and rows wherein I input the data manually not linking to any db element. I used the line/box effect but this is really time consuming and not even effective. And when I import the data from word it imports the table as a picture instead of a table which can be edited. the crosstab does not work if you do not have any db entity selected.

I'm unclear whether you have a database that is returning some data or not. But it doesn't make sense to draw a table and add data manually. Crystal is intended for displaying database results.

-LB

I have an excel sheet which will be used to populate data. I haven't yet linked to that. Before even getting the variable data from the excel I wanted to create a table with some values. To make the picture clear I am again copying the table that needs to be created manually and the XXX's showing the variables in that table to be populated from the excel sheet.

An eg. is this table in crystal :
Parameter Set Point Operating Range Performed
By Date Performed Verified By
CO2 Incubator Temperature XXX °C XXX to XXX° C
CO2 Incubator % CO2 XXX % XXX to XXX %
where all the XXX's are variables getting data from excel.

You need to bring in the database first, and then design the report to return the desired format.

-LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back