Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

excel data source

Status
Not open for further replies.

nb4884

IS-IT--Management
Aug 2, 2010
US
Hi All,

I need to build a report where it gets some data from Universe and some data from excel spreadsheet.

I can connect to the universe but what is the process to connect it to the excel. Right now I have excel on my desktop , where do i need to place it and how to connect.

Any insight to this will be greatly appreciated.

I am on CR XI R2

Thanks

Has anyone worked with excel datasource? please let me know the solution.

Thanks

Hi

yes you can connect to 2 data sources. I ahve connected to SQL databse and an excel spreadsheet at the same time (using the database expert or set databse location, excel can be found under Access/Excel (DAO) or you could use ODBC (RDO) and select Excel.

It is a good tip to have a common Key field between the two so you can JOIN them easil in crystal (same data type is alos useful)

Thanks madvalpreston,

I really wanted to know where do i save the xls. I can connect to Oracle and Universe for reporting.

Thanks

nb4884,

You need to determine a folder where the Excel file can always be saved (and overwritten with an updated field if applicable). So long as the file location is available to all persons running the report, it does not matter where the Excel file is saved.

That being said, I would suggest a network location over a local drive. If your PC were to be replaced, at least the file is still in an accessible location and would not need to be saved on the new PC.

Hope this helps!

Mike
---------------------------------------------------------------
"To be alive is to revel in the moments, in the sunrise and the sunset, in the sudden and brief episodes of love and adventure,
in the hours of companionship. It is, most of all, to never be paralyzed by your fears of a future that no one can foretell."

Good comments from Mike and good advice.

The one we use actually runs automatically every day and emails to someone (using 3rd party software), but as Mike suggests it must have the network locations avaialble where the files are.

Good luck with it..

Mike, All my users will be running reports via infoview.Does that mean that the file has to be somewhere on the BO server?

Thanks

nb4884,

erm... umm... honestly not sure on that one - I haven't worked with the server side of Crystal for over 3 1/2 years now.

Going by memory, and a limited authentication knowledge, I would suggest my above post holds true, though perhaps the BO Server has a user (of some form). If this is true, the file would need to be saved in a location this System User has access to. It would work on the same principle as the Database the report is accessing.

That being said, it is only a idea - perhaps a question best posed in the "Business Objects: Crystal Enterprise" Forum. I would suggest linking this post in your posting there so as to give the Tek-Tippers there the background of your situation. [smile]

Cheers!

Mike
---------------------------------------------------------------
"To be alive is to revel in the moments, in the sunrise and the sunset, in the sudden and brief episodes of love and adventure,
in the hours of companionship. It is, most of all, to never be paralyzed by your fears of a future that no one can foretell."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back