Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel, copy everything exept the formular

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveask

Programmer
Aug 11, 2004
GB
Hi,

In Excel, need to copy everything exept the formular in a range from a sheet to another sheet. Note, I need to copy the character color in the cells as well.

Any idea?

daveask:

After copying in your favorite way, go to the other sheet, rt. click, then choose PASTE SPECIAL. You should be able to select what you want from the dialog box (value, format, etc.) while leaving the formula UNchecked.

Thank you doxiepup.
I tried that but just cannot include character color when do paste special! I got some cells to be copied with different character colors.
You can try if you don't believe :)

daveask,

You'll need to do it in two passes. Copy the desired range, go to the other range, paste special > values then - without re-copying anything or even changing the cells that are selected - paste special > formats.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue]
[/tt][red]"If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit."[/red]
-Mitch Hedberg

Help us help you. Please read FAQ181-2886 before posting.

anotherhiggins,

Yes, I tried that, but the character color cannot be pasted!

?

It works fine for me.

What version are you on?

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue]
[/tt][red]"If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit."[/red]
-Mitch Hedberg

Help us help you. Please read FAQ181-2886 before posting.

anotherhiggins,

Really!? I am using Excel 97!

daveask:

Have you tried using FORMAT PAINTER to copy just the formats?

doxiepup,

What is FORMAT PAINTER? How to do that?

daveask:

Highlight the cells that have the format you want. Then click on the icon that looks like a paint brush. Then click on the top left corner of the range (group of cells) where you want the new formatting to be.

It shouldn't matter what version you are using, anotherhiggins had given you the steps to do what you need:-

Select Data, copy as normal, paste where needed
Select Data, copy as normal, paste again but paste special as values

the only reason this may fail to give you the colour is if you have conditional formatting active in the cells that refers to a trigger outside the range being copied.

Regards
Ken..............

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[peace]It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission[2thumbsup]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

KenWright,

Thank you.
The problem is the value will lost in the cell with formular if we copy the range not including the source cell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back