Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel - code execution has been interrupted

Status
Not open for further replies.

whoffman

Programmer
Jun 12, 2002
US
In reference to archived posts, thread222-6296, has anyone figured out a solution? It is driving me nuts! I have to reboot every time I debug an Excel macro.

Thanks in advance!

I am confused. That thread is about data duplication in Visual FoxPro. What does it have to do with "Excel - code execution has been interrupted" or "I have to reboot every time I debug an Excel macro."

[red]"... isn't sanity really just a one trick pony anyway?! I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you are good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit!" - The Tick[/red]

Evidently, the forum goofed. I searched for the problem I was having and found it. The forum stated to reference this thread in any new posts, and it would be included. I did a copy and paste, so how could I have mis-spelled it? Oh well. I doubt if anyone has found the answer yet - it's probably a Microsoft thing. It's as if when you press CTRL-BREAK to debug, it sets a system flag that only gets cleared when you re-boot! If you attempt to run your macro, it behaves as if you actually pressed the C-B combo repeatedly!

Without reading your initial thread I am kind of shooting blind here, but have you checked to see if there is a stranded Excell.exe process?

[red]"... isn't sanity really just a one trick pony anyway?! I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you are good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit!" - The Tick[/red]

It was one of the first things I did. Started Task Manager, Processes, and searched for it, or anything that would clue me into what was going on. I have rebooted, gotten a list of processes running, then started my excel thing (the debug stuff). When it started acting up, I got a new list and compared the two - no difference. I am really frustrated with this. I work in an organization that has an IT Dept (I'm NOT in it) but they're as useful as, well, nevermind. Needless to say, I have to solve this for myself or keep re-booting (a ten minute process with the security we have here!)
Thanks for your interest!

In that case it does sound like a MS thing. Sorry I have not seen it before and have a solution for you.

What precisely happens? Could you post the code? Do you have any userform opened?

combo

There is no specific code that causes this to occur. It happens with a great variety of SIMPLE macros. These macros call no user forms. They do have For-Next loops and sometimes Do Until loops. Basically, I start the macro with a step into (F8) and step through inspecting values, then stop, make necessary changes to the code and save the spreadsheet. I then close and reopen it and execute the macro normally (F5) or a command button. Somewhere during the execution the window pops up as if I had hit CTRL-BREAK, but I did not! If I hit continue, it will run some more and repeat the same pop-up at a different place in the code. I have read this complaint on several forums, (but no one has supplied the cause or cure), so I know I'm not the only person suffering through this nonsense. At least I can take heart I'm not suffering alone.

Thanks for any insight or help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back