Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel Chart Types 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

duncansancho

Technical User
Oct 9, 2003
GB
This is not really a VBA question, but you guys seem to have a knowledge of everything! I need to create a chart with a stacked column on one axis, and a line on a second axis. I seem to be able to create most things but not this. Is it possible?

Duncan

Hi,

In the Chart, select the SERIES you want to change.

Chart/Chart Type - and select the TYPE you want

Format/Selected Data Series - Axis Tab: Select plot on SECONDARY.

:)

Skip,

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

Thanks Skip, I just tried that on an existing chart and got a rather odd result! I'll work on it and come back if I get no joy but if I understand your reply correctly, you can vary each of the series on a chart individually?
Duncan

Please explain the ODD result.

Post a portion of your source data and what series is what.

Skip,

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

Skip, Sorry I had to leave yesterday before your reply arrived!

Overview Summary Mar-04 Apr-04 May-04 Jun-04

PPC Value of Sales £1,619.19
SEO Value of Sales £8,484.86
Affiliate Value of Sales £405.12
PPC Traffic 5623
SEO Traffic 2571
Affiliate Traffic 304
Combined Traffic 8498

PPC
SEO
Affiliates
Value of Sales
Combined Traffic

This is the source data. I need the three 'Value of Sales' figures as a stacked column, and the 'Combind Traffic' figure as a line above it. The list below, I was using for labels and may or may not be of use. I have got some of it OK but would appreciate your comments if possible. It is difficult to explain exactly what is wrong but the data labels and key are causing me problems. Is it possible to change the labels without changing the data?
Duncan

Duncan,

Chart works best when ALL the data (label and series data) is in the same Row/Column. So I would make the Value of values in the first column
[tt]
PPC
SEO
Affiliates
[/tt]
What Chart considers LABELS are the x-axis category values, which are dates. The values in the first column are used for Legend Tags.

Still don't know what ODD thing is happening when you change the Combined Traffic series from Stacked Column to Line???

Skip,

Skip, Thanks for your help - I have got it all OK now. Your comments about rows etc. were useful as well. The Oddity arose from my stupidly not arranging the column correctly, but I knew I could sort that out and did so when I thought about it a little! Thanks for your help, and for bearing with me on this!
Duncan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back