Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel Chart displaying 2 different data

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreshBe

IS-IT--Management
Jul 25, 2006
GB
Sorry about the title but not sure how to describe the issue.

I have a standard line chart with 2 series of data in it - not a problem so far.

What I can't seem to do is take data from another column in a sheet and add lines across the chat at the values from the column and where they are on the Y axis.

What I am trying to achieve is a line chart with 2 series and a band of lines across the chart giving me an upper and lower limit.

Hi,

Your UPPER and LOWER limits can be each an additional series.

Copy the new ranges

Select the chart

Edit/Paste Special -- add series.

VOLA!

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red][/red]
[tongue][/sub]

Thanks for the response, I have tried this but I just end up with another series as a line chart, what I am after is the series just to be straight lines from left to right all the way across the chart at the value on the y axis of the data from a cell, if you have an email address I can mail you a n example that I have done in paint to demo what I need it to look like.

You are not generating series of single values by the sound of it. Have a series a numbers all the same to be your upper limit, and another series to be your lower limit.

By the way, asking to take your problem off-line via email goes against the whole point of having a forum, as is considered back practise.

Cheers, Glenn.

Did you hear about the literalist show-jumper? He broke his nose jumping against the clock.

I like to do this with Single-Point dummy series and Error Bars.
Code:
[b]Series  X value       Y Value[/b]
Upper      0      Whatever your UL is
Lower      0      Whatever your LL is

Paste these in the chart as new series

Click the markers on the Y-Axis and set the X-Error Bars to Custom type Plus, with a value equal to your highest X-value.

Format the Error Bars as Red and Green, dashed, No Markers, Fairly thick-ish (or any way that you like)

BINGO!

Chris

Beer is God's way of telling us He loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

Ooops! I just re-read your post and see that you're using a Line Chart; my suggestion won't work 'cos Line Charts don't have X Error Bars [blush] Sorry!

Unless I can persuade you to use an X-Y Chart, you'll probably have to do it Skip's way.

This article in Quality Digest shows how to do Shewhart Charts and Control Charts -
Using Excel for Data Analysis
Chris

Beer is God's way of telling us He loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

Thanks all for your suggestions, The upper and lower limit is nearly what I need but I need to have lines going accross the chart for each value that I specify not just for the upper and lower limit.

GlennUK (MIS) - sorry, I was not trying to take the thread offline just email a picture of an example to what I want it to look like as I don't seem to ba able to post and image on here.

A bit like this?
Code:
|[red]----------------------------------[/red]X
|
|
|-----------------------X
|-----------------X
|
|
|----------X
|____________________________________

If that's the kind of thing you're after, make it an X-Y Chart and use Minus X Error Bars

BINGO! [thumbsup]

Chris

Top Man MeGustaXL's exactly what I'm after, thanks for that

Darren

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back