Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel Chart directly from VBA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 12, 2003
US
Does anyone know how to create an Excel chart directly from VBA without first putting the source data on a spreadsheet? I am trying to do a short animation by refreshing the chart a number of times. The problem is that the extra step of displaying the data on the spreadsheet slows down the program significantly. I can get around this by creating a "Chart data" spreadsheet dedicated to storing numbers and then doing the chart on the active sheet but I would rather not have to do this.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ben

To speed up the data refresh you can insert this before:
Code:
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
and this after:
Code:
Application.ScreenUpdating = True

Hope This Help
PH.

If it doesn't, execute the Refresh method of the Chart object before restoring the ScreenUpdating.

Hope This Help
PH.

So there's no way to keep from dedicating a sheet to store data? My ideal solution would be to have a way to go directly from an array in VBA to an Excel Chart without dumping the array in Excel first.

Ben

I found this earlier today while searching for something else.
I hope it helps

Sub ArrayChart()

With Worksheets(1)

.Select

' Add a chart object. Note: the 200's are coordinates and sizing
' for Left, Top, Width, and Height

ActiveSheet.ChartObjects.Add(200, 200, 200, 200).Select

' This produces the chart with a temporary source data range

ActiveChart.ChartWizard .Cells(1), xlPie

' Provide an array of values to plot as the chart's first series

Selection.Chart.SeriesCollection(1).Values = _
Array(34, 33, 16, 10, 3, 1)

End With
End Sub

jaseti

Ben,

You do not have to display the data on the sheet. Using the Activate and Select methods can also greatly increase processing time.

faq707-4105 How Can I Make My Code Run Faster?

If your series data ranges are also changing, you can use Dynamically Named Ranges using the OFFSET function in Insert/Name/Define.

faq68-1331 How can I rename a table as it changes size

:)

Skip,

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back